Thursday, January 10, 2008

Perspective

It's that time of year to restart, renew, and recharge. I wanted to comment on a few things for the beginning of this new year. For those of you who have been to some of my workshops...you know that I am big on the mind. I truly believe that your mindset has everything to do with your success or lack thereof. It's not the market...or the new regulations...or really anything else that keeps you from really getting what you want. It's your mental state.

I recently spoke with my old Supervisor. We haven't talked in quite a few months and so we were catching up. I have been slowly revising my business so that I can dedicate 100% to training and teaching trainees and haven't really been doing very many appraisals...so I asked him how things were going.

Now before I tell you what he said...let me go back a bit. I had just spoken with several appraisers who had nothing to do but complain about the market and the lack of business. A couple were even considering getting out of the industry altogether. Now...I've said before that I've seen the market slow down like this a couple of times before but I have to admit this is a unique situation and even I have been having my doubts. Anyway...back to the story.

Right before I spoke with my old Supervisor...I spoke with his office manager. I asked her how things were going and she said that they were really busy and was complaining how everyone wanted everything yesterday. She then put me on the phone with my old Supervisor...so I asked him about it.

To my surprise...he was actually surprised that things were slow for most people. He said that he was busy as ever. I asked him if he had a copy of any foreclosure reports so I could teach everyone how to do one and he said that he would have to dig one up because he hadn't done one in a really long time. I thought for sure that he was busy doing foreclosure work but he hadn't done any in a year or two. Now that was surprising! He was still doing the same work...purchases and refis that he has always done.

We talked a little about what was going on in the market and the industry as a whole and to be honest...I was the one telling him what was going on. I don't think it wasn't that he really didn't know what was going on because he said it didn't really affect him...so he didn't dwell on it.

I tend to think that because he didn't dwell on it...it didn't affect him!

We then went on to talk about how he had seen this happen in the late 80's early 90's and how in the Spring we will see a lot of purchases happening since savvy investors buy low. Another thing to note is that he invests in property and was actually excited about where the market was going because that's when you can get great deals.

I guess my whole point to the story is this. What you focus on expands. My old Supervisor had seen this happen before and was mentally prepared. He knows that it's nothing to panic over and to him...it's just business as usual. Think about that...he holds the belief that it's business as usual and that's what he gets. He doesn't even have to do foreclosure work!

As far as getting into the business...now is the time to train and get your knowledge. The market will come back and because too many people like to focus on fear and the negative...they will leave the industry. Nothing could be better for you.

Focus on acquiring your knowledge and building your business now not the lack of it and you'll be surprised how anyone could have ever left over such a minor thing.

No comments: