Thursday, February 21, 2008

Who's the Scam Artist?

The controversy begins...

I have just started advertising on a forum...www.appraiserforum.com. If you haven't gotten on there I suggest you do. It is a great resource for appraisers.

Now...if some of you have read my post back in June (on 'Results') about how I attempted to get on a forum and have conversations about my programs to promote them then let me just make 1 thing clear.

That was a business strategy that did not work and I shared the story with you all to demonstrate how to adapt in the face of adversity.

In the case of http://www.appraiserforum.com/, I pay for my advertising and follow the rules because I've learned from my mistakes. Remember in business...you can Break Rules but many times you have to pay the consequences.

And NO...Appraiser Watch-Dogs...I'm not talking about being an unethical appraiser. One should NEVER knowingly violate USPAP or make up values. I'm talking about an entirely different context so please...don't jump to conclusions.

My intention in the past was to get people to visit my site...plain and simple. So they actually have a shot at this industry. I know I have great products and more useable tools available that can help trainees for real and I'm not going to apologize for that. I'll leave the 'snake oil' to some of 'required' stuff.

The problem is that now I'm labelled as a 'Scam Artist' by some of the uninformed members of the site.

Before I go into a rant...www.appraiserforum.com is very professional and as such I intend to be professional while on it. I hope all of you will too. Read the rules and follow them. The owner is very professional and fair and actually came to my defense. It is the best forum available and is an invaluable tool for appraisers.

Now...let's get into the controversy. A trainee posted on there that she thought AREA48 was a scam and she was 'Targeted' because when she got her license she received a letter from me. My letter is designed to get a response and some people are just so skeptical that when they see my prices they presume it to be a scam. I mean how could anyone provide that much value?

I don't know...ask a University why they charge $35,000 a year. I'm only providing my past 12 years of appraisal/sales knowledge.

So some of the member 'experts' (see previous post) recommended that I be 'checked out' by 'knowledgeable' appraisers...I can't wait.

Anyway...one of our students responded to the post saying he didn't think it was a scam and they all jumped down his throat.

In defense he responded...so they then came to this blog and read my posts to 'check me out'. Let's just say they weren't to pleased at being called 'Old Experts'.

They then read my post from last year on 'Results' and assumed that these trainees were plants.

Well...first of all, give me some credit. If I were going to use that technique the title in the subject line wouldn't be "Is AREA48 a Scam?". That's a negative suggestion to say the least and certainly doesn't help my business.

The point is that without even checking out the rest of my information. The MOST IMPORTANT information...my training products and classes. I've just been labelled and that's it.

First off...let me offer you few who seem to know-it-all...some advice.

When you do an appraisal. You shouldn't derive a conclusion of value without looking at all the available information. Ummmm....That's Appraising 101. If you presume that I am unethical as an appraiser based upon a 'Blog Comment'...ummmm maybe you should repeat your basic education requirements. Assuming can only lead to one thing cause I ain't one...

I tell you what...come to my Wednesday Webinar class and join in. I'm sure with your wealth of knowledge you could enlighten us all!

Unfortuantely...I can't say too many things about such people since it's really a waste of time. The glass is always half-empty with them.

The ironic thing is that I'm labelled as a 'scam artist'. The truth is that the system is the 'scam artist'. I'm not the one portraying that all you have to do is get your Trainee's License and then you can just start working with a Supervisor. I get call after call each day from frustrated Trainees from around the COUNTRY who are fed up. They feel they've been mislead.

They have...and not by me.

If I'm guilty of anything then I'm guilty of calling it like it is. If the 'system' doesn't work...I'll say it. I am guilty of trying to provide a solution by offering REAL training and Supervision so that a new generation of KNOWLEDGEABLE appraisers can be successful too. The public is only protected when appraisers have REAL knowledge.

I really feel bad for the Trainee who thinks I am a scam. She doesn't know yet that more than likely...she wasted her money on her license. She hasn't figured out that there is more to this business then just getting your trainee's license.

All I can say is Good Luck.

And for any appraisers who really have a problem with me. Truly...I invite you to come to my Wednesday night online webinar and share your viewpoints. Call me personally and I'll give you the codes (323-257-3357).

But of course...we expect you to act professional!

I've never claimed to be the most knowledgeable appraiser. I only claim to be the most open!

Ed

No comments: