Friday, March 16, 2007

Power of Networks

One of the fastest ways to become successful is to understand and utilize the power of networks. Implementing this one principle alone helped me to triple my business in 3 months...it's that powerful.

I've often asked myself, "How can I get more through doing less?". I used to think that maybe this type of thinking came from my inherent laziness but now I realize it's the secret to reaching never-before-seen heights in business. Here is an example of how to apply this concept in the appraisal business.

One of the best ways to get new business is to make appointments with different mortgage offices. In the early days I would go and talk to as many loan officers as I could to make sure I had enough business. I thought that this was a pretty good approach but I have to admit it was quite time consuming.

One day...one of my business coaches asked me how could I use the same amount of time and yet get triple the results? I have to admit...that kind of stumped me. I wasn't really sure. Then my coach asked me, "Is there a way where you could do what you are doing now but instead of just talking to one person at a time, you could talk to several people at a time." I thought yes, I could do presentations on how to understand appraisals which is what I did one on one...and so I did. The results were much better but it was still hit and miss with my time. Sometimes I would get more business and sometimes I wouldn't get any at all. I found that even though some of the loan officers would use me, many still did not, so I had to do several presentations and often at the same office...(Because I was now doing presentations I wasn't able to answer the loan officers individual questions like I did when I was approaching them one on one.) So I then wondered...How could I get everyone to use me without having to spend extra time and come back to do more than one presentation?

Then it hit me...I could do the same presentation AND answer questions one on one if I got to THE DECISION MAKER of the office. If the business owner or manager was sold then they could make all their employees utilize my services...I would be tapping into the Brokers or Sales Manager's NETWORK of Loan Officers. And so I did...and the result? More than triple the business!

In fact...these are the only presentations I do now. This coming week I have an appointment with a sales manager for a mortgage company that has over 50 loan officers. They do a minimum of 90 appraisals a month! And have a goal of reaching 120 a month...and they want to use my company exclusively. (I will let you know how this works out...the meeting is on Monday).

Doing one on one or group presentations is great...but how much time and how many presentations would it take to generate 90 appraisals a month? For most appraisers they wouldn't even be able to consider taking this volume on. Why?...because they don't have the systems in place. But thanks to MY NETWORK and systems, I am more than capable of handling this volume.

So...I will let you know how this account works out but in the mean time think about how YOU can utilize the power of networks...it's worth more than it's weight in gold.

'Til Next Time


Ed

1 comment:

gottafly said...

........okay, so I hve been kicking down doors (well knocking)and visiting offices and handing out packets w/ my info, meeting people etc, but nothing has happend. My husband who used to sell insurance (yikes) says I need to go back 7 times to each office to make myself known, but my fear is that they will see me coming and want to hide. What should I be doing. I wouldn't mind doing a presentation, but I don't know if I have enough knowledge to do that. I have a pretty cool supervisor, but he fits the description you have of he doesn't have any business for me, and he is too busy to teach me something else. I have a whole list of stuff I could ask, but I will try to stop here..........please help.