Friday, March 2, 2007

Trainee Mistakes

Everyone,

I want to address some issues that seem to have come up recently for quite a few trainees. As I have been sending out emails promoting the new website and AREA48, I have received many emails from trainees asking me why I haven't responded to their request for employment. Some have even gone so far as to say..."I've sent you an email a few days ago requesting employment, I've got my trainees license and am eagerly awaiting beginning my services with you."

Now...I'll agree that effort should count for something but let me tell you how I feel about responding to this.

First...I'm too busy to respond to you. What have you done other than solicit me to pay you, and why should I email you back? Because you're asking me for my time & money? Second...you have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE. Third...why are you eagerly awaiting beginning to work with me? I haven't responded to you and I haven't offered you a position. The fact that you can't wait to begin working with me is presumptuous. (Granted, it is a presupposition but it is not the correct time and it is too overt.)

Forgive me if my response sounds harsh but I need to play devil's advocate here and I shoot from the hip. If you guys want me to sugar-coat things for you then you've come to the wrong place...besides...THIS IS EXACTLY HOW IT SOUNDS TO SUPERVISORS WHEN WE GET THESE EMAILS.

Here's another example..."I'm still waiting to be hired by you. Don't miss out on the next best thing." Okay...First, who are you? What qualifications do you have? If you truly are the next best thing then why can't you find employment.

Listen...I'm not sharing these emails with you because I'm downplaying anybody's attempts or making fun of any you. Action is better than no action. I'm merely pointing these out because almost every single one of you needs coaching on how to solicit a Supervisor correctly.

As a Supervisor, I receive numerous emails and phone calls daily and I have yet to come across a trainee who has convinced me they would be an asset to me and my company. I actually sought out the trainees who are currently working with me.

I am going to give you a hint...before you even mention employment or your qualifications (or lack thereof). You have to build TRUST & RAPPORT. You have to PACE MY REALITY. You've got to get out of your own heads and put yourself in my shoes. Certainly, if you have no experience...wait until you build Trust & Rapport BEFORE you share it.

If USPAP was really concerned about having good, knowledgeable, ethical appraisers...in my humble opinion, they would have a Supervisor placement program for you guys instead of throwing you to the lions. It's when appraisers get overwhelmed with work that they bring you on...only then they don't have the time to properly train you. Luckily, you've got me and my programs. Once again, I'm not bragging...you guys (and gals) absolutely need this training (especially the sales!).

As I mention in the Free E-Book, one of my trainees called over 270 appraisers looking for work before he called me. He was doing what everyone else was doing....Hey, I'm a trainee looking for work, what can you do for me. His approach was so bad that I ended up coaching him on the phone when he called me and I realized that he actually had all the qualifications I was looking for! He had just been effectively presenting himself OUT of position after position.

How many of you are doing the same thing? Remember, if what you're doing isn't producing the result you're after...do anything else. Many of you are experts at getting no's...now it's time to learn to get to yes.

Until next time.

Ed

1 comment:

Keith Gordon said...

Bravo! It is refreshing to find someone willing to tell it like it is. I have been doing inspections and partial report writing for my supervisor for one year now and I appreciate the work, however, despite good intentions (work is equally divided among the four appraisers in our shop) I have found the number of assignments and the lack of training (as of yet I have not been making adjustments or researching properties prior to inspection) to be frustrating. I have recently obtained a client of my own, but because I cannot complete an entire report, the ordering, research and scheduling of assigments for this client currently go through my supervisors office ( meaning I share this clients work with other appraisers but get a finders fee). I want to thank you for giving those of us who are serious about becoming successful in this industry the tools to do so.